Latvian Republic Embassy in Poland
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ilgvars Kļava
Królowej Aldony 19
The possible date of visitation in the Embassy Consulary Department is to be appointed via phone (+48 22 616 40 14) or via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If it is necessary, it is possible to appoint a meeting when the offices are normally closed.
Counsillor, Deputy of Head of Mission
Liene Elena Lobzova
Senior Clerk for Consulary Issues
Latvian Agency of Investment and Development in Poland (LIAA)
Counsillor for trade and economic issues
Embassy of latvian Republic
Head of Representative office of Latvian Agency of Investment and Development in Poland
Address: Królowej Aldony 19, 03-928 Warsaw
phone: +48 22 616 40 17 or +48 22 617 11 05
fax: +48 22 617 11 06
Polish Embassy in Latvia
Polish Embassy in Riga
Mednieku iela 6b
LV 1010 Riga
Open Mon-Fri 9:15-17:15
Contact – phones
Central: (+371) 6 703 15 12
Consular department: (+371) 6 703 15 14
Economic and political department: (+371) 6 703 15 12/500
Emergency phone: (+371) 2 947 56 09 (available after closing)
Contact – fax
Embassy: (+371) 6 703 15 49
Consular department: (+371) 6 703 15 54
Economic and political department: (+371) 6 703 15 49
In Latvia standard European Union entry and customs regulations apply. In touristic case, there is no need for residence register up to 90 days. There are specific limits of goods carry. They must be only for personal use, that means we can carry no more than specified:
- 800 cigarettes
- 200 cigars
- 1kg of tobacco
- 10 litres of spirit alcohol
- 20 litres of wine with increased alcohol volume (e.g. porto, sherry)
- 90 litres of wine (including max. 60 litres of fizzy wine)
- 110 litres of beer
That also means that buying goods must not be with further intention to sell them, excluding the case of a gift.
Moreover, since Latvia entered EU, it is not possible to get VAT tax refund of goods bought in a member state.
It is recommended to obtain European Card of Health Insurance, as well as a private health insurance. When having a general health insurance from the owner’s country of origin, it should be possible to use Latvian health care only in cases of emergency.
The summer season is normally intensive, therefore the most comfortable time to visit Latvia would be May or the period between September and October. That way it is possible to avoid the highest tourist traffic.
October is not the most attractive month because of relatively low temperature. Winter normally occurs up till the half of March.
How to get to Latvia
- by own car – przez Litwę
- by plane – dostępne są loty bezpośrednio do Rygi
- by train – codziennie dostępne są międzynarodowe połączenia
What languages are spoken in Latvia?
Apart from Latvian, it is possible to speak Russian and English.
Information for drivers
- Using a car above 3,5 tons is paid and requires a vignette
- Using lights is mandatory throughout whole year
- It is mandatory to have winter tires since 1th December to 1th March
- Mandatory equipment inside of the car is: a reflective vest, a medpack, a warning triangle, an extinguisher, the tread of the tire must be minimum 1,6mm (summer tires) and 4 mm (winter tires)
- Important numbers: European emergency: 112; road assistance: 1888
- 26 January – Restoration of independence
- 25 March – Commemoration of communism victims
- 1 May – The convocation of the constitutional assembly; Labour Day
- 4 May – Announcement of independence declaration
- 23 June – Līgo Day
- 24 June – Jāņi (summer solstice)
- 11 November – Commemoration of Latvian freedom fighters (Lāčplēsis)
- 18 November – proclamation of Latvian Republic – Independence Day
Religious holidays and non-working days
- 1 January – New Year (Jaunais Gads)
- 3 April – Holy Friday (Lielā Piektdiena)
- 5 April – Easter (Lieldienas)
- 6 April – Easter Monday (2. Lieldienas)
- 25 December – Christmas (Ziemassvētki)
- 26 December – Second day of Christmas (2. Ziemassvētki)
- 31 December – New Year’s Eve (Vecgada vakars)